School & Colleges/Universities


If your child is HIV positive, you may be unsure of what is in place to protect your child's confidentiality at school. This can also be useful if your child does not have HIV but sometimes stays home from school because one or both of their parents is HIV positive and needs care.

A child who is infected and affected by HIV has the same right as any child to access an education. You are not obliged to disclose that your child or a family member has HIV.

If you do decide to disclose your child's HIV status, only two teachers need to know about it. This would usually be the head teacher and another member of staff chosen by you and your child. It is good practice for schools to have procedures in place if a parent tells them a pupil is HIV positive. Any medical information you disclose should be kept confidential.

It can be useful to tell the school if your child has to have frequent time off for medical appointments or to care for other family members. It can also be a good way to ensure your child has some extra support and care if they need it. Very young children may need a teacher to monitor their anti-HIV medication, for example.


It may be a good idea to disclose your HIV status if you are frequently absent because you are unwell or because you care for a family member. If your own or a family member's HIV impacts on your education, it may be worth telling someone who can offer you support.

These are all important issues to consider when disclosing your HIV status to your school, college or university. In the end, the decision is up to you and your family. If you need any help, you can call PT Foundation for support.